I am now joining in on the numerous fitties that enjoy picking up things and putting them back down. Yes, you read that right, I am now officially getting into lifting. When I say officially I mean the big barbells, Smith Machine, and dumbbells that aren’t pink. It’s exciting and intimidating all at the same time.
Last week my coworker and I decided that throughout the summer we should utilize the cheap campus gym membership (only $20/month) and workout on our lunch hours or after work. So far it’s been a huge success. We found a female beginner lifting plan from simplyshredded.com (http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html) and made up a good schedule for our workouts.
Our first day was Wednesday and we started with upper body. The workout included:
- Bench Press – 45lb 3 sets of 12
- Bent Over Row – 35lb 3 sets of 12
- DB Shoulder Press – 15lb 3 sets of 12
- Tricep Extensions – 17.5lb 3 sets of 12, 10, 12
- Barbell Bicep Curl – 30lb 3 sets of 10
- Dumbbell Bicep Curl – 12.5lb 3 sets of 12
It took awhile on some activities to find the right weight to achieve 10-12 reps but overall it went well. At the gym there are incredibly helpful staff that help with form and made sure we were performing the moves correctly. I’m excited to see if the weights that I’m lifting will improve!
Thursday was a “rest” day but I still went to the gym for a quick lunch hour sweat. It focussed on abs and I performed moves including planks, push-ups, v sit-ups, pike push-ups, assisted pull-ups, and assisted dips.
Friday was legs (risky considering I had a race on Sunday). It included:
- Barbell Squat (on the Smith Machine) – 95lb x 12, 115lb x 12 x 2 sets
- Deadlifts – 75lb 3 sets of 12
- Leg Extensions – 80lb 3 sets of 12
- Leg Curl – 70 x 12, 80 x 12 x 2 sets
- Standing Barbell Calf Raise – 35 lb 3 sets of 12
- Lying Leg Raises – 3 x 15 each side
- Weighted Crunch – 5kg 2 sets of 25
- Plank – 30s side to 30s front to 30s side to 30s front no rest
Overall, it was a good start and relatively easy to get familiar with the gym equipment. After each gym session I enjoyed a vanilla vega protein shake with almond milk.
Hope to start seeing some gains in the next month.
Yours in fitness.